Re: [Gnucap-devel] autoconf-WIP branch

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] autoconf-WIP branch
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 19:28:08 +0200

Hi Al.

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 01:04:55PM -0400, al davis wrote:
> Over the years, I have run into cases where programs failed to
> build because of those irrelevant tests.

indeed. other things fail for no apparent reason because a test is
missing. autotools tries hard to not even start the build if something
is clearly wrong.

> I could see "checking for a proper build environment", and if it
> isn't a detailed message to guide in fixing it.  I see no harm
> in leaving out the whole thing.

grep "build environment is sane" configure -A 30. the comments look
quite comprehensible.

for example its about weird characters in paths. i dont know what made
them add this check. but i don't want to debug the mysterious failure
that this check would have caught. really.

> It looks like we are stuck with it.  That's unfortunate but it
> looks like we must go with it.

... until somebody reinvents autotools. i think i can't help much.

regards
felix