Re: [Gnucap-devel] param-WIP branch

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] param-WIP branch
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 11:56:27 -0400

On Friday 19 July 2013, al davis wrote:
> The reason obsolete_callback exists is that there can be
> expressions of commons, with possibilities that don't fit
> the  parameter=value model, so these files were much more
> difficult than the others.

To clarify ...

The real reason obsolete_callback exists should be evident from
the word "obsolete".  It's old code, from before any
consideration of multiple simulation languages, that hasn't been
converted yet.

That is not the only place in gnucap where there is old yucky
code in need of replacement.  The most flagrant ones are the
connectmodule code in e_node* and d_logic*, the output code, and
the list of if's that enables shortcut command names.  All of
these are examples of stuff, my own work, that I would not
accept in new work.

There is also an issue with the difference in "model" code,
stemming back to the spice notion of a "model" card, essentially
made obsolete by the notion of cloning a master device.  It
seemed to make sense at the time.  Now it is unneeded extra
complexity.  This one will need to change to have full support
of the Verilog "paramset" as defined by the standard.