[Gnucap-devel] transient -- "trace" default

From: al davis
Subject: [Gnucap-devel] transient -- "trace" default
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 22:30:43 -0400

Preference question ..

I'm thinking of changing the default to "trace all".  It is now
"trace off".

"trace off" shows only the time steps you ask for, suppressing
printing of the extra steps needed for accuracy.

"trace all" shows all accepted steps, including the extra ones
required for accuracy that you did not explicitly ask for.

Showing a fixed time step made sense when we all looked at ASCII
plots, and when the step control didn't work very well, so
people tended to ask for enough steps for a smooth plot.

Now, the auto step control works well enough that it is usually
best to not specify a step size at all, or with spice syntax to
specify it as a huge value such as equal to the total run time.
Regardless, with graphic plot programs and files sent to
external tools, usually now it is best to convey all of the
info, and let the computer determine the time step.

Most people go with the default, which is usually wrong.  Before
I change it, any reason not to?