Re: [Gnucap-devel] git repo proposal

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] git repo proposal
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 22:22:14 +0200

Hi Al.

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 03:44:47PM -0400, al davis wrote:
> On Sunday 26 May 2013, Felix Salfelder wrote:
> > i have a draft for including plugin package-tarballs into the
> > build system within the autotools-WIP branch. basically it
> > works like 1) place your package into <gnucap-src>/extern
> >    type
> >           git clone <gitrepo> extern/<name>
> >           cd !$; ./autogen.sh; cd -
> >         or just
> >           tar -xf <tarball> -C extern/<packagename>
> > --strip-components 1 2) run ./configure (once)
> > 3) (todo) make check, install now dives into externals
>
> I saw that ...  I really don't want to use autotools for this.░░

i really want to. would you mind leaving the choice to the users?

> Aside from that I think autotools is such a mess, compiling and░
> installing plugins is something a regular user should be able to░
> do.

autotools is a matter of taste. it outsources distribution/packaging
issues to the experts. the 'extern' subdirectory functionality does not
require autotools at all. autotools just provides templates for this.

> Consider this ....  There's a computer lab in an undergrad only░
> university.  Let's assume they have some linux distro. how about░
> CentOS for now (very stable, not much in the library).  They░
> have installed gnucap by "yum install ...", and the sysadmin is░
> clueless about what else is needed.

in this scenario, a package containing a collection of plugins must be
installable with yum as well. packaging these plugin collections for
CentOS is trivial if they provide a sane build logic.

> Now a student wants to use those models.  The command should be░
> "load path/to/modelsourcedir".   and nothing more.

this is total overkill, how about leaving software distribution at the
software distributors?░moreover that tuned load command still doesn't
interfere with autotools as build system. it probably is supposed to
work after gnucap has been installed.

(also, most users know how to type ./configure; make install in case
of emergency)

> > all we need is one git repo for each plugin-package. i have
> > gitified gnucap-bsim gnucap-spice3f5 gnucap-geda gnucap-adms
> > and gnucap-bm (i certainly need some help making all of them
> > work.)
>
> That's what I mean.

would it be possible to push them to savannah as well? are there license
issues?

regards
felix