Re: [Gnucap-devel] git repo proposal

From: Kevin Zheng
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] git repo proposal
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 09:18:22 -0500

On 05/26/2013 09:01, Felix Salfelder wrote:
>> In my old system with RCS, that was semi-automatic as part of
>> the checkin target in the Makefile.  Is there a way with Git to
>> have it generate some kind of string as part of the program on a
>> checkin?
>
> the mechanism is quite simple: configure checks whether git is available
> and .git is a directory, then pastes the branch name into the constant
> GIT_BRANCH. anything else (commit id, description or even
> manual-override) should be trivial to add.
>
>> In my own non-released work, I do change the patchlev string,
>> for these reasons.

I think you might be looking for something along the lines of automatic
keyword expansion, which makes the VCS automatically inject a timestamp
into the $Id$ in the file.

I've never used this before with Git, and I don't know how well it
works, but I think it might be worth a shot.

The Git Book talks about this in a bit more detail under the "Keyword
Expansion" section:
http://git-scm.com/book/ch7-2.html

Thanks,
Kevin Zheng