Re: [Gnucap-devel] New experimental build system using CMake

From: Kevin Zheng
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] New experimental build system using CMake
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 09:03:15 -0500

Hi Felix,

On 05/11/2013 02:52, Felix Salfelder wrote:
> have you tried the autotools build system? (i havent pushed it to
> savannah yet, as it's still experimental, find it on tool [1])

No, but that's because of my personal incompetence with Autotools. I'm
sorry I didn't figure out that your experimental branch existed. Would
it be possible for you to push it to a branch of Savannah?

> it looks like a list of files rather than a build system. is that
> intended? there is no configure script. how is this supposed to be used?

All of the configuration is supposed to happen within CMakeLists.txt,
but I got lost trying to interpret the old build system and instead
relied on the README file. Sorry!

> library names typically start with "lib", so there should be no trouble.

It's a limitation with CMake: you build a library with:
add_library(name SHARED <sources>) and it produces a "libname.so".

Likewise, you build an executable with:
add_executable(name <sources>)
Which unfortunately produces a name conflict with the library name.

> the build system should at least implement what the upstream build
> system does. please explain how to configure yours, how CMakeLists will
> call modelgen....

I agree. The only reason I tried out CMake was because I assumed Gnucap
didn't have another build system. Now that there's autotools, I really
don't see a point to continue work on the CMake build system.

In summary, I didn't realize that work was going on with another build
system. I would really appreciate it if you could push your branch to
Savannah so more people could find it.

If anyone decides that having a CMake build system would be a good idea,
I will be glad to help out.

Thanks,
Kevin Zheng