[Gnucap-devel] New experimental build system using CMake

From: Kevin Zheng
Subject: [Gnucap-devel] New experimental build system using CMake
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 18:01:36 -0500

Hi there,

While I was working on updating the version of Gnucap in the FreeBSD
Ports Collection, I realized that I didn't really like the existing
build system, for multiple reasons. Feeling adventurous, I cloned the
repository and tried to set up a build system using CMake.

Attached is a patch with my work in progress. Although it is still far
from finished, I think it's a good start towards a cleaner build system.
You can apply the patch by using `git am <patch>`.

A major limitation is that CMake refuses to create output files with the
"same" name. Since there is already a "gnucap" library, it is not able
to produce a "gnucap" executable. I've temporarily renamed the
executable to "gcap", which can successfully run on my machine.

I know that build systems bring big changes (and dependencies), but I
would like the project to consider the prospect of moving to a simpler,
more elegant build system.

Thanks,
Kevin Zheng