Re: [Gnucap-devel] Development repositories for Gnucap

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Development repositories for Gnucap
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 14:32:32 -0500

On Monday 28 January 2013, John Griessen wrote:
> On 01/24/2013 08:03 AM, Felix Salfelder wrote:
> > sksavant/
> >
> >   - gnucap
> >     this is a gnucap repo containing a branch dedicated to
> >the gsoc project (lang_geda). i think its obsolete.
>
> Al said it was good work.  Maybe needs help to
> merge?  Obsolete?

It is good work in the sense that he made great progress on a
difficult job, but it is still not ready for official release.

Also, it must forever be a plugin, built separately.  It cannot
be merged into the main gnucap branch because of dependencies on
libgeda and gtk.

This dependency is an example illustrating  the importance of
plugins, and in preserving the integrity of the plugin system.
Also, it's an illustration of the importance of a stable core
that rarely changes, with the majority of work happening in
plugins.

There is also the political side.  Gnucap must be neutral with
respect to other projects.  It is reasonable to favor Free
Software projects, but the various Free Software projects must
be (in the long run) equal here.  In this regard, I consider a
corresponding plugin for kicad to be a high priority, to be
treated as equal to the geda plugin.