Re: [Gnucap-devel] Development repositories for Gnucap

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Development repositories for Gnucap
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 15:03:47 +0100

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 06:12:26PM +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have seen there has been some activity on the gnucap front recently,
> so was wondering where the development code trees are available.
>
> I don't recall there ever being a CVS / SVN / GIT repository for gnucap
> upstream, and I'd love to give the latest code a test-drive. I saw there
> are a few gnucap repositories (even a fork) on github, but was hoping
> someone here might summarise what is where (and how official each is).

Hi Peter.

as nobody replied, ill try to sum up.
on alioth.debian.org there is a gnucap source repository reflecting the
release history and debian packaging, theres nothing happening since the
2009 release.
on github there are gnucap repos
gserdyuk/
 - gnucap-main
   no idea what this is. it appears to be some weird packaging
   attempt, throwing in some tarballs into one subdirectory. and some
   readme files.
 - gnucap-a
   same, but with backend hacks needed for ...
 - gnucap-plugins
   several attempts to gnucap extensions, probably staged for later
   integration into upstream (?)
 - gnucap-icarus
   that old hack trying to tie icarus and gnucap together
 - gnucap-mot-adms
        an attempt to build (the 5?!) verilog models using admsxml and
   spice-wrapper.
henjo/
 - gnucap
        looks much like upstream gnucap, but builds shared libraray (also
   contains debian package drafts) and contains backend changes needed for
 - gnucap-python
   gnucap as a python library. a funny hack making gnucap accessible
   from python. would need a lot of work to do this right (output
   plugins?)
sksavant/
 - gnucap
   this is a gnucap repo containing a branch dedicated to the gsoc
   project (lang_geda). i think its obsolete.
on tool there are some gnucap related repos
 - gnucap
   here i tried to find a common denominator for gnucapplus, gnucap
   upstream and my own branch/fork ("gnucap-uf"). it mostly contains the
   patches discussed on gnucap-devel, some enhancements (spectre parser
        improvements, parameter evaluation fixes, node allocation changes,
   unit tests),
   lots of bugs (probably). there are unmerged branches containing
   things like sensitivity analysis and experiments.
   gnucap-uf has a (n autotools based) build system supporting plugins like
 - gnucap-bsim, gnucap-adms, gnucap-geda, gnucap-bm ...
   plugins and extensions that work or are meant to work with any
   gnucap installation. partly work with upstream version (built manually).

concerning gnucap, i guess just the bugfixes posted by Al are
'official'. you also may call the plugins (minus bsim, which i just took
and converted into an example package) official, as they are not intended
to be merged into gnucap. i doubt this is enough for a real test drive
-- you're invited to hunt bugs though :D

regards
felix