[Gnucap-devel] (GSoC) Compiling and loading gEDA/gschem plugin [was: Re:

From: address@hidden
Subject: [Gnucap-devel] (GSoC) Compiling and loading gEDA/gschem plugin [was: Re: gsoc - gnucap project]
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 00:45:31 +0530

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 8:53 PM, al davis <address@hidden> wrote:

> I downloaded your files, and compiled with this Makefile:
> ===========================
> all: geda.so d_net.so lang_geda.so d_place.so
>
> geda.so: d_net.cc lang_geda.cc
>         g++ -I ./include  -shared -fPIC -o geda.so d_net.cc lang_geda.cc
> d_place.cc
>
> d_net.so: d_net.cc
>         g++ -I ./include  -shared -fPIC -o d_net.so d_net.cc
>
> d_place.so: d_place.cc
>          g++ -I ./include  -shared -fPIC -o d_place.so d_place.cc
>
> lang_geda.so: lang_geda.cc
>          g++ -I ./include  -shared -fPIC -o lang_geda.so lang_geda.cc
> ===========================
>
> One compile error .. lang_geda.cc:156 .. I put "GEDA_DATA" in quotes,
> which I know is wrong, but it compiled.

A macro is required to check whether gEDA is installed and get the
symbols directory.
compile lang_geda.cc using the following

g++ -DHAVE_GEDA -shared -fPIC -o lang_geda.so lang_geda.cc
$(pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0)

and then loading in gnucap
gnucap> load ./lang_geda.so

Checking for gEDA installation and getting the path of symbols
directory is done by Felix[1] and I think it is good to do it this way
rather than tag along the symbols folder in gnucap (that was naive).

"make lang_geda.o" also should work but I can't load it as a plugin. I get

gnucap> load ./lang_geda.o
load ./lang_geda.o
     ^ ? ./lang_geda.o: only ET_DYN and ET_EXEC can be loaded

I think makefile doesn't compile with -shared flag and hence the issue.

[1]: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnucap-devel/2012-07/msg00001.html

--
Savant Krishna | Junior Undergraduate | Electrical Engineering | IIT Bombay