Re: [Gnucap-devel] Summer of code: Gschem analysis for parsing

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Summer of code: Gschem analysis for parsing
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 04:20:27 +0530

> There is a "standard library" of models.  There should be a
> "standard library" of symbols.  Hopefully, they be consistent,
> but if they are not, it is not your problem.  Whatever the names
> of the parameters are, pass them on.

There is a standard library provided by geDA/gschem.
It can be seen at [1]. They seem to be quite consistent.

> In gschem, it has been considered normal to use a different
> schematic for layout or simulation, and maybe even different for
> different simulators.  There really should be types for
> attributes, some attributes are for simulation, some for layout,
> etc.  Mark them some way, perhaps with a prefix character like
> "." or "_".  Or .. just pass them on and make the target ignore
> any parameters it doesn't like?
OK. So, parameters not required for simulation need to be marked and
ignored when parsing.

> One nuisance point I just realized ......  A gschem sch file has
> no notion of connectivity.  It comes from the extraction.  To do
> it correctly, you need the actual symbols.  That's bad, but we
> need to deal with it.

Yes, one suggestion is to parse the standard library of symbols initially
at the time of compilation and save required information in an easily
(fast) accessible format (array?). The required information may the
position of pins and some attributes like graphical etc.

[1] : git.geda-project.org/geda-gaf/tree/symbols

--
Savant Krishna | Junior Undergraduate | Electrical Engineering | IIT Bombay