Re: [Gnucap-devel] Summer of code: Gschem analysis for parsing

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Summer of code: Gschem analysis for parsing
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 00:37:42 +0530

Hi,

I've gone through the schematic format, verilog netlist format and the
 notes on how to translate. I've updated the wiki page about that at [1].

'net' is not identified as an implicit model by gnucap. Does that mean
a 'net' module is to be defined in each case?
A simple ideal net module can be

module net(pin1,pin2);
resistor #(.r(0)) rnet (.p(pin1),.n(pin2));
endmodule

> Instead there are parameters, name=value pairs.  Even a resistor
> can have more than just resistance.  There is temperature
> coefficient, tolerance, power rating, capacitance, inductance,
> and more.  I can't, you can't, list them all in general.
> Rather, support the syntax and pass it on.

Yeah right.. I'll just pass on the parameters. What should they be named?
For example in case of a resistance, how should the tolerance
parameter be named in verilog? Same as what it is in other formats (eg:
gschem)?
resistor #(.r(),.tol()) r1 (.p(1),.n(2));
or
resistor #(.r(),.tolerance()) r1 (.p(1),.n(2));
or some other way?
How are these parameters incorporated into the models of components?

> > After getting the model name, in order to use in the
> > analysis, the parameters of models are needed.
> > Does this mean that the models should be stored?  (loaded as
> > plugins?)
>
> The same device has different views depending on what you are
> doing.  It has symbols for schematic, footprints for layout,
> models (subckt, model, module, whatever) for simulation.  You
> might want different models depending on what you are doing
> today.  Preliminary pre-layout simulation ignoring parasitics?
> How about post-layout simulation with IBIS models, where the
> nets are first class objects?
Ok, I get the idea. The parser should create a netlist for the schematic.
 Now what we do with the netlist and how we model the components in
 it is secondary. That's depending on our use, right?

[1] : gnucap.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=gnucap:user:language_plugin_for_gschem

--
Savant Krishna | Sophomore | Electrical Engineering | IIT Bombay