Re: [Gnucap-devel] Autotools build system

From: David Fang
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Autotools build system
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 13:05:15 -0400 (EDT)

You are probably missing libtool's development headers.  If
you're using a package manager, can you make sure that
packages like 'libltdl-dev' are installed?

ok .. installed it ..
(an unchecked dependency??)

-dev is typically a build-only dependency not needed at run time for any packages, only needed temporarily when compiling a package, so it wouldn't be installed unless you explicitly asked for it.

now ..

address@hidden:/home/al/gnucap/gnucap-2009-06-11/gnucap-2009-06-11>./autogen.sh
Running libtoolize...
libtoolize: putting auxiliary files in `.'.
libtoolize: `libltdl/config/compile' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
libtoolize: `libltdl/config/config.guess' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
libtoolize: `libltdl/config/config.sub' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
libtoolize: `libltdl/config/depcomp' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
libtoolize: `libltdl/config/install-sh' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
libtoolize: `libltdl/ltdl.h' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
libtoolize: `libltdl/slist.c' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
libtoolize: You should add the contents of the following files to `aclocal.m4':
libtoolize:   `libltdl/m4/argz.m4'
libtoolize:   `libltdl/m4/ltdl.m4'
libtoolize: or else add `AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([libltdl/m4])' to configure.ac.
libtoolize: Remember to add `LT_CONFIG_LTDL_DIR([libltdl])' to `configure.ac'.
libtoolize: Consider using `AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR([libltdl/config])' in
configure.ac.
libtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.
Running aclocal...
/usr/share/aclocal/gtk--.m4:10: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_GTKMM
/usr/share/aclocal/gtk--.m4:10:   run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
/usr/share/aclocal/gtk--.m4:10:   or see
http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
configure.ac:43: error: `libltdl' is already registered with AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS.
../../lib/autoconf/status.m4:1093: AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS is expanded from...
configure.ac:43: the top level
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
aclocal: autom4te failed with exit status: 1

It looks like you are/were using libtool-2.x, (those m4 files mentioned were not present in libtool-1.x). One issue I've run into before is that if the m4 macros from one version of libtool were previously copied into your sources, then it might confuse aclocal when seeing multiple conflicting definitions. Let me fix the autogen.sh script to help clean-up some files in the process. Another alternative, I could re-make the patch for you against libtool-2.

ok .. let's start over ...
address@hidden:/home/al/gnucap/gnucap-2009-06-11/gnucap-2009-06-11>make clean
make: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.

I usually keep around a script that removes all of the autotool-generated files, so it doesn't depend on a configured Makefile. This reverts to the state of not having run any autotools. If you do have a configured Makefile, 'make maintainer-clean' is supposed to clean out such files, but I never use it. *shrug*

address@hidden:/home/al/gnucap/gnucap-2009-06-11/gnucap-2009-06-11>./configure
checking for gawk... gawk

(why does it check for gawk?????????)

autoconf-2.63 uses awk to perform config.status's test substitution, for performance reasons. They've written so any reasonably POSIX-conforming awk will work. Don't sweat it.

Alright, task is on me to make autogen.sh happy again.  :)

Fang

David Fang
http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~fang/
http://www.achronix.com/