Re: [Gnucap-devel] Autotools build system

From: David Fang
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Autotools build system
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 04:13:23 -0400 (EDT)

loads one module.  You name a file, complete with extension,
which is ".so" on Linux, ".dll" on MS-windows.  I want to add a
feature that lets you load a directory, which means all modules
in that directory, or if there is a Makefile to run make then
load all modules in that directory.

Loading an entire plugin directory makes a lot of sense. Libtool(libltdl) should do exactly what we need (hide the complexity of different dynamic loading mechanisms and library types -- crossplatform).

But dynamically running a Makefile? For what purpose? Let us assume the average user's machine, especially Windows, doesn't have gmake let alone a C compiler.

Hmm, just-in-time model compilation for gnucap?  Could be nifty.  :)
If the user happens to have a compiler/make installed this could be facilitated with a boilerplate Makefile. This would be an optional feature, of course.

Fang

David Fang
http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~fang/
http://www.achronix.com/