[Gnucap-devel] gnucap development snapshot 2008-05-27

From: al davis
Subject: [Gnucap-devel] gnucap development snapshot 2008-05-27
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 10:34:43 -0400

There is a new development snapshot available ...
http://gnucap.org/devel/gnucap-2008-05-27.tar.gz

Models (optional) have also been updated:
http://gnucap.org/devel/gnucap-2008-05-27-models-bsim.tar.gz
http://gnucap.org/devel/gnucap-2008-05-27-models-jspice3-2.5.tar.gz
http://gnucap.org/devel/gnucap-2008-05-27-models-ngspice17.tar.gz
http://gnucap.org/devel/gnucap-2008-05-27-models-spice3f5.tar.gz

Another optional package contains some tools.  There are no
changes, but there is a new one for consistency.
http://gnucap.org/devel/gnucap-2008-05-27-tools.tar.gz

This file contains the md5sum of the other files, so you can
check for a proper download:
http://gnucap.org/devel/gnucap-2008-05-27.md5sum

This snapshot provides:

1. Choice of Gear-2 method for numerical differentiation.

2. Refinements of time step control ...
2a. most components participate.
2b. some new "options"

3. "store" command. stashes data for post-processing

4. New models tarball -- the models from "Jspice", including
Josephson Junction.

Comments:

This is still very much a development snapshot, and should not
be included in any distribution or CD.

1. Choice of Gear-2 method ..

Specify ".option method=gear". or "gear2"

Choices are trap, euler, gear.

Step control with Gear method is based on truncation error, but
less rigourously than when Trap method is specified.  This is
because Gear's method induces errors in the third derivative
when time step is changed.  It is usually not noticeable
visually, but very noticeable in the third derivative which is
used for step control.  As a work-around, step control is based
on the second derivative instead.

2. Refinements of time step control

By default, time step control should maintain smoothness such
that if you fit the data with cubic splines, the interpolated
points will be within tolerance.  Some new options are added:

"trsteporder", default=3, set step size so an interpolating
spline of this order will be within tolerance.

"trstepcoef1", "trstepcoef2", "trstepcoef3"
Coefficients of the error term of the truncated series, 1st,
2nd, 3rd order.  Only one applies, the one specified
in "trsteporder".

There is still more work to be done.

3. "store" command. stashes data for post-processing

"store" command .. (should it be "save"?  but "save" is a
conflict)  --- stores data for post-processing.  Some
post-processing commands "measure" type are coming soon.

It is possible to write a plug-in that will use this data, but
none are included in this snapshot.  Watch address@hidden
to see some as they come out.

4. New models tarball -- the models from "Jspice", including
Josephson Junction.

Not all of them work.  Some fail to attach, like other model
plugins.  This is incomplete work.  I believe the JJ does work,
but without the optional current sense.

5. Performance comments:

In a previous announcement, I said "Performance with spice model
plugins is very slow" ..  It is not as bad as indicated, but
nothing has been done about it.

When comparing speed between gnucap and spice, using model
plugins, the dominant time is usually taken by model
evaluation.  The same models should run in the same time.  In
some cases, gnucap's stricter time control can result in slower
run time.  I have examples where Spice gives completely wrong
answers because of step control problems.  In these cases,
gnucap is slower because it does more time steps, and correct
because of it.

6. Plugins using the spice-wrapper still do not take named
parameters, or expressions.

===

As usual, to get started you need only the main package
gnucap-2008-xx-xx.tar.gz .

The other "models" packages contain the exact models from the
various sources.  If you need a jfet, I recommend the one
in "spice3f5".  If you need a BSIM model, the obvious choice is
the "bsim" package, which has all of them.  The "ngspice17"
package contains a few models not available elsewhere, such
as "vbic".  Making a models package available is not an
endorsement of those models.  The intent is that by using
plugins, models designed for as many other simulators as
possible can be used by gnucap.

If you need other models, let me know.