[Gnucap-devel] gnucap development snapshot 2008-02-11

From: al davis
Subject: [Gnucap-devel] gnucap development snapshot 2008-02-11
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 23:19:09 -0400

There is a new development snapshot available ...
http://gnucap.org/devel/gnucap-2008-03-24.tar.gz

Models (optional) have also been updated, fixing some attachment
problems:
http://gnucap.org/devel/gnucap-2008-03-24-models-bsim.tar.gz
http://gnucap.org/devel/gnucap-2008-03-24-models-ngspice17.tar.gz
http://gnucap.org/devel/gnucap-2008-03-24-models-spice3f5.tar.gz

Another optional package contains some tools.  There are no
changes, but there is a new one for consistency.
http://gnucap.org/devel/gnucap-2008-03-24-tools.tar.gz

This snapshot provides mostly clean-up and bug fixes.

There is one new feature.  It now accepts parameters
on ".subckt" lines, with Spice syntax.  The old ".param" syntax
still works.

Some bug fixes:

Temperature mapping with multiple devices with spice-model
plugins.

"sin" frequency default is now the same as Spice.

Bring back "get", "merge", "build" (in the last snapshot, they
only worked with dots.)

Comments:

This is still very much a development snapshot, and should not
be included in any distribution or CD.

Performance with spice model plugins is very slow.  The
copy-in-copy-out mapping does have some speed penalty, but the
speed is much slower than it should be.  Also, convergence is
not what it should be, which slows it down more.  As it stands,
the spice model plugins do not support any of the "fast-spice"
ability that gnucap has.  Fixing this is high priority, before
a stable release, but after a feature freeze.

Plugins using the spice-wrapper still do not take named
parameters, or expressions.

As usual, to get started you need only the main package
gnucap-2008-xx-xx.tar.gz .  The other "models" packages contain
the exact models from the various sources.  If you need a jfet,
I recommend the one in "spice3f5".  If you need a BSIM model,
the obvious choice is the "bsim" package, which has all of
them.  The "ngspice17" package contains a few models not
available elsewhere, such as "vbic".

If you need other models, let me know.  Others, such as
Josephson junction, are available, but I have not ported them
yet.  Porting a Spice model usually requires two files,
a "Makefile" and a "wrapper.h", and no other changes.