[Gnucap-devel] commands in verilog mode.

From: al davis
Subject: [Gnucap-devel] commands in verilog mode.
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 19:13:39 -0500

Verilog doesn't specify commands.  As far as I know, there are
no existing native Verilog-AMS simulators.  It looks like
gnucap is leading here.

From what I see,in commercial simulators, Verilog-AMS is only
supported through something like a plugin mechanism.  The main
circuit seems to be spice format, or maybe a proprietary
format.

It looks to me that the "main" circuit, if it is done in
Verilog, is just a "module" that is not instantiated, and you
somehow say to use it, in a simulator dependent manner.
Probably the most common way is to instantiate it in Spice
format.

I am thinking of adding capability to have a main circuit, in
the main scope like commands, just a list in Verilog format,
and keep gnucap commands order dependent as they are.  This is
easiest to do, and I think the best way.

Since the first argument on a Verilog "module instantiation" is
a type, the whole system is very consistent, and fits well with
interactive use.

ground 0;
module vdiv(in, out, gnd);
resistor #(1k) r1 (in, out);
resistor #(1k) r2 (out, gnd);
endmodule

vdiv divider (1 2 0);
vsource #(.dc(5)) v1 (1 0);

probe .....
dc........
(plain gnucap commands, as they are)

If you want everything in modules, and one (call it "main"
starts it all, just instantiate "main" only ..

main m1;

There is even a way to do multiple simultaneous simulations ...

main m1;
main m2;

etc....

This works in other modes too.

Most jobs will be mixed languages.  One in Spice, one in
Verilog-A, another in Spectre, ....   That part is easy.

comments?