Re: [Gnucap-devel] mingw DLL problem

From: David Fang
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] mingw DLL problem
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 20:29:46 -0400 (EDT)

Can you show me how libtool solves the problem at hand?  I don't
see it.

It doesn't. It inherits the limitation of the underlying dynamic linker.
It just makes it easier to write portable code if you can live with the
lowest common denominator of all dynamic linker capabilities.

Hi,
If the question was about what flags to pass during compilation (e.g. -fPIC, -fno-common, ...), libtool would take care of that for you. (I still see a non-fatal warning about -rdynamic on Darwin, indicating that something's wrong, for instance.) The libtool manual also documents a AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL autoconf macro for handling DLLs built from sources with __declspec(dllexport). You'll still need to accommodate those directives in the source, of course. FWIW, the simplified interface provided by libtool has saved me the trouble of figuring out shared-library compiler/linker flags across Solaris, Linux, Freebsd, and Darwin (including old versions), which has given me time to work on real development. I have not yet run into any lowest-common-denominator limitations yet, as a data point, but I haven't had access to the more obscure platforms for testing. And yes, I understand that the build-system is still a work in progress -- please take care of the more important matters first. :)

Fang

David Fang
Computer Systems Laboratory
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Cornell University
http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~fang/
        -- (2400 baud? Netscape 3.0?? lynx??? No problem!)