Re: [Gnucap-devel] Build failure with version 2007-08-20

From: Dan McMahill
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Build failure with version 2007-08-20
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:41:58 -0400

al davis wrote:
Thank you .. Stuart for testing it on 3.3, and the bug report, and David for a diagnosis and quick fix.

I ran some tests on 3.3 - confirmed the problem
- and that David's patch works
- and there are still more problems with 3.3, that I was able to work around, sort of.

Back to the 3.3 issue ... I need to decide where to draw the line on supporting old compilers. Using an enum here is no problem. If that was all that is needed, I would do it. I have concerns about the other problems with g++-3.3, particularly the stack overflow, which happens on both 32 and 64 bit systems. (Actually, all of the mentioned problems happen both on an AMD-64 and Intel-32.)

any conclusions on this? Unfortunately most of the computers I use have gcc-3.2 or gcc-3.3.

Doing some upgrades has been on my list for a while, but I haven't had a chance yet.

-Dan