Re: [Gnucap-devel] SPICE to gnucap transition

From: Scott Dattalo
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] SPICE to gnucap transition
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:38:29 -0700

al davis wrote:
There is always the question of what to do first, what to hope someone else will do, etc. If I did all that, there would be no time left for the good stuff, leaving no reason for gnucap to exist at all.

I've been aware of gnucap for more than 5 years. As far as I can tell, you are the only one that uses it! Maybe there are others... but they're very, very quiet.
<snip>

There is a serious need for beginner documentation. I plan to do that, when Verilog works. For now, it doesn't bother me to lose the people who want Spice as Spice. I am glad that ng-spice exists, to take up this slack.

Wow! Don't you realize that people don't want SPICE for SPICE? They want a circuit simulator for analyzing circuits and SPICE is the only open source package capable of doing it.

You need people like me who know SPICE's strengths and weakness and are willing to show how gnucap is better. In addition, I've got experience with simulators, C++, dynamic libraries, etc. and probably could help out in more ways than you can imagine. On the one hand you acknowledge you need this help but on the other you're pushing back. I'd really like to help out here!

So here's an offer:

Show us how the SPICE inverter circuit needs to be modified so that it can work with gnucap. You don't need to be too elaborate here. The inverter netlist consists of only 5 lines (and with gnucap it should only be 4 lines). Show us how to sweep the input voltage and look at the drain-to-source current of the transistors.

If you can do this then I'll write a tutorial on how one can convert simple SPICE circuits into gnucap circuits.

Deal?

Scott