Re: [Gnucap-devel] SPICE to gnucap transition

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] SPICE to gnucap transition
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 02:09:34 -0400

On Sunday 18 March 2007 23:22, Dan McMahill wrote:

> Whats somewhat amazing to me is I think in a summer one might
> even be able to approach or exceed some commercial tools.  It
> has amazed me how truely bad some of the commercial offerings
> are.

Commercial tools put lots of effort into incremental
improvements.  Sometimes the best way is to throw away the old
and start over.

That is why I decided that for gnucap, I would concentrate on
where I want it to be, and go there, even if it means temporary
setbacks.

If gnucap tries to be Spice, and puts a priority on Spice
compatibility, it will always be inferior.  I don't need to
compromise the future for this quarter's financial report.
Therefore, gnucap will not try to be spice.

About a year ago, I made the decision not to put effort into
what I consider to be "detour" code.  You know ...  a "detour"
is something you build to keep traffic moving while you work on
the real one.  Before that, it seemed I was only able to work
on the detour.

> If it is design with extensibility in mind, you can grow the
> built in functionality simply.

Yes.

.. and if it isn't designed with extensibility in mind, don't
waste your time extending it.  Redesign for extensibility
first.  Accept the temporary loss.

Once this is done, gnucap will be able to replace spice.  Not
before.