[Gnucap-devel] Re: revsion control

From: Jonathan David
Subject: [Gnucap-devel] Re: revsion control
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 00:16:16 -0700 (PDT)

Here is another..

----- Original Message ----

To: address@hidden
Sent: Wednesday, September 6, 2006 10:04:19 AM
Subject: revsion control

>> too..) just tell me where the subversion code repository is
>> and how to check out the code..
>
>The best way for now is the development snapshots. The RCS
>archive is at http://www.gnucap.org/RCS .  I haven't figured
>out how to get clean web access.  I plan to migrate it over to
>CVS or something newer, but have been swamped with other stuff.

I've not played much with CVS.. I've used RCS a little, where I have individual
files I want to keep
under revision control (.cshrc scripts/ and licence files)
After doing some research on the subject, the newer features in subversion
(atomic commits, binary diffs)
had me convinced I'd move to that eventually. My sysadmin had standardized on
CVS, but gave me access to only
one CVS project.. SVN has a standalone capability and was included on one
machine we had RH4 installed on. so I started
experimenting with creating new projects in svn, and then I never looked back.
Turned out no-one else had really latched onto CVS yet either, so our last CVS
server got taken off line yesterday.
While SVN has its own server capability, it can also integrate with Apache to
allow repository browsing and checkout from
the internet.. those with the right permissions can commit their changes back
as well. so don't waste your time trying to integrate RCS with a web interface.

I'll also suggest that we setup a trac wiki/bug tracker for the project.
Are you coming out a couple day's before BMAS? Maybe I have someone who can
help set up that infrastructure.
Jonathan