Re: [Gnucap-devel] patches to gnucap-2006-07-08

From: Dan McMahill
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] patches to gnucap-2006-07-08
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 07:32:52 -0400

al davis wrote:
On Wednesday 02 August 2006 17:20, Dan McMahill wrote:

patch-aa -- updates the version

ok .. needs to be updated every release, manually

yes.

and adds the missing man/html/Makefile

man/html is a generated directory, which can be deleted. When it is deleted, man/html/Makefile.in is not regenerated.
It is used only in building the dist file using autoconf-make,
so I missed it.

putting it back..

I guess I'd argue that while 99% of the contents of man/html is generate and can be delete, that the directory itself and the Makefile stuff shouldn't be deleted.

patch-ac -- adds missing man/html/Makefile.am.  This makes sure that the
            preformatted .html manual will show up in the .tar.gz
            distribution file so the end user won't be required to have
            latex and hevea installed just to be able to get the manual.
            It also installs the html manual as part of 'make install'

man/html is a generated directory, so even Makefile.am must be a generated file. How to generate? Copy from stash place?

but why ever totally remove the man/html directory? Why not just remove all of the generated files in there? Or does HeVeA have some issue with that?

patch-ad -- adds a new header file to the list of sources

I missed it because the old build system separates .cc from .h files.
Missing a .h file in Makefile.am seemed to have no visible symptoms,
except in making a dist file.

If you make use of the mkid or etags/ctags functionality then that file will be missing there too.

patch-ae -- adds a couple of new test netlists which appeared

Those files change often, and are always accessed by wildcard.
Should the makefile use wildcard instead of explicit list?

Probably not a bad idea.

patch-ae -- adds a couple of new test outputs which appeared

This is a generated directory.  It was luck that it was there at all.
Copy from a stash place?

I'd probably rather see the directory not disappear but just most of the contents.

-Dan