[Gnucap-devel] Re: gEDA-dev: Gnucap docs build failure on FC5 (and other

From: Dan McMahill
Subject: [Gnucap-devel] Re: gEDA-dev: Gnucap docs build failure on FC5 (and other places)
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 01:51:50 -0400

Stuart Brorson wrote:
Al, group,

I am getting the next spin of the gEDA CD ready for release.  On FC5 I
have a problem:  If dvipdfm is installed, but Latex is not, I get this
error message:

I am not an autoconf/automake expert, but will happily submit
patches acheiving this.  But I was wondering if any of the development
gurus out there had some example code which implemented this scheme?
I looked at PCB, which does this, but I was flummoxed by its
complexity.  Therefore, if somebody could point to a different
open-source program using the GNU automake stuff which cleanly ships
.pdfs in the distro tarball, I would very much appreciate it.
Alternately, if the PCB devlopers could explain enough of their scheme
so that I could copy it, I would like that too.  Any and all pointers
appreciated!

Thanks,

Stuart

I believe that gnucap should already do the right thing. The problem is that the latest snapshot tarball was not created with 'make dist' using the new autoconf/automake build system but rather created with the old build system. I believe your problems will go away once the gnucap tarballs start being generated with 'make dist' or preferably 'make distcheck'.

If you want to work around it then generate the dvi file and add it to the distribution or you could also build your own distfile with 'make dist' and put that on the CD. You'll need latex but the users won't.

-Dan (the one who wrote the autoconf and automake stuff for gnucap)