gnuastro-devel

[task #15913] Python wrappers for Gnuastro's programs

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15913] Python wrappers for Gnuastro's programs
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2021 08:38:31 -0500 (EST)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

Many processing pipelines use Python as their high-level language (for example
Euclid, where some components use Python). In the future, we do plan to add
direct Python access to Gnuastro's libraries (for example in task #13786).
However, that will take time (since it is a pretty low-level feature).

In the meantime, to allow easy access within Python, we can write wrappers to
call Gnuastro's programs. For example, someone may want to run NoiseChisel on
an image (as a Numpy array in Python). We can write that image to a file, run
NoiseChisel over that file, then read the output FITS file as a Numpy array
and delete the file. The same can be done for other programs. Or useful
complex scenarios (for example using Arithmetic to stack images in a unique
way, or calling NoiseChisel+Segment+MakeCatalog, or etc).

I have started a (currently empty) repository on Codeberg for this [1]. As of
this moment (Commit 911803edbb
<https://codeberg.org/gnuastro/python-wrappers-programs/commit/911803edbb>),
it just has a 'README.md' file, but please feel free to add useful python
functions for now in separate files. As it grows, we'll add a Python module
structure around it.

[1] https://codeberg.org/gnuastro/python-wrappers-programs

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?15913>

  Message sent via Savannah