gnuastro-devel

[gnuastro-devel] [task #14293] Separating installed and non-installed li

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [gnuastro-devel] [task #14293] Separating installed and non-installed libraries
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 20:01:08 +0000 (UTC)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

Currently the installed Gnuastro library also contains functions that are not
intended for installation (their headers aren't installed), like those in
lib/configfiles.c
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuastro.git/tree/lib/configfiles.c> (to
read configuration files, which is not relevant for the libraries), and
generally all the `.c' files with a `.h' file in the lib/
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuastro.git/tree/lib> directory.

We should define those as a separate Convenience library
<https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Libtool-Convenience-Libraries.html>
(maybe called `gnuastro-internal') only to link with the programs, something
like how we link the programs with Gnulib.

In the (currently ongoing) work on a root data structure (task #14245), we
have a new class of library source files which are only separated from the
installed library files because of compile-time necessities, like the
`arithmetic-*.c' files (you can see them in the under-development lib/
<https://gitlab.com/makhlaghi/gnuastro/tree/datastruct/lib> directory). These
were separate from the main library source files they use macros heavily, and
thus the compilation would take too long if they were compiled in one source
file. For these types of library source files we can define convenience
libraries for the installed Gnuastro library, or they can remain as is (get
included in the library, but with no headers).

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?14293>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/