gnuastro-devel

[gnuastro-devel] [task #14167] Calculating the upper limit magnitude for

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [gnuastro-devel] [task #14167] Calculating the upper limit magnitude for each detection
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 13:50:35 +0000 (UTC)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 70%
             Assigned to: makhlaghi
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

One very important factor in measuring the magnitude of an object is this:
what is the faintest acceptable magnitude for a given object (segmentation
map) in an image? This depends on various things like the depth of the image,
image correlated noise, or the shape and size of the object.

The standard way of finding this upper limit for an object is to measure the
flux in a large number of randomly positioned (but identical in shape)
segments over un-detected regions of the image.

For another project, I recently wrote an implementation of this process using
Gnuastro's newly installed libraries. So I am now busy implementing it within
MakeCatalog as a new column that the user can ask for.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?14167>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/