gnuastro-devel

[gnuastro-devel] [bug #49188] Paragraph indentation in book's webpage

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [gnuastro-devel] [bug #49188] Paragraph indentation in book's webpage
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 09:38:19 +0000 (UTC)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

The current CSS style sheet for the book defines paragraph indentation as
follows:

p{
    margin-top: 0;
    text-indent: 0;
    line-height: 1.3;
    margin-bottom: 0.2em;
}

/* Paragraphs that follow other paragraphs should be indented.*/
p+p, p+*+p {
    text-indent: 1em;
}

To make/check it, I mainly used the single HTML per node as a reference and
the single HTML vesion also seemed fine. However, there was a problem:

* When there are multiple other tags between two paragraphs, indentation will
not work. For example this page
<https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/html_node/Mandatory-dependencies.html>.
If you look in the source you will see multiple tags (for the index) between
the first and second paragraph.

* The case above has created the apparent success of this rule for
multi-section pages, like the single HTML
<https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/gnuastro.html> version: the fact
that the first paragraphs of each section is not indented is because there is
more than one tag between it and the previous tag.

We should set it to the opposite: by default there should be indentation, and
when a paragraph falls below a header (with any number of elements between the
header and the paragraph), there should be no indentation. The `*' will choose
ONLY ONE of any type of tag. I am still searching to find how we can tell CSS
to use any number of any type of tag, but I don't have much time now, so I am
postponing it. If you know the solution, please comment here, thanks in
advance ;-).

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?49188>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/