gnu3dkit-discuss

Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] GL slang draft

From: Brent Gulanowski
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] GL slang draft
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:32:31 -0500

On Thursday, February 27, 2003, at 12:39 PM, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

Hi,

FYI the GL slang draft has been posted and is available for download. Maybe we want to look closer at this before jumping on the RenderMan Shader Language train too fast?

http://www.opengl.org/developers/documentation/gl2_workgroup/

Real time work is generally more important to my projected needs, so glslang looks more attractive, inasmuch as advanced shading interests me at all. To speak objectively, will choosing glslang result in a skewing of 3DKit toward real time applications? If so, is this going to be an impediment to its usefulness?

Consider that in many uses of 3DKit (scientific visualization), it might be equally important to do fast, rough, interactive work and slow, detailed batch processing.

Only interactive renderers will benefit form glslang, whereas maybe RenderMan or another shader language might be usable for interactive and offline renderers.

Should not the shader language be directly driven by the choice of renderer? Why should 3DKit have to choose one or the other? The shaders have no impact on the scene graph, do they?

Brent Gulanowski                        address@hidden
--
keyboard not found, press F1 to continue