gnu3dkit-discuss

Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] UML diagrams

From: Brent Gulanowski
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] UML diagrams
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 23:29:44 -0500

On Sunday, November 10, 2002, at 07:22  AM, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

FYI I added a first UML diagram and updated the 3DKit info file on the website. More diagrams may follow later. Please be aware that this diagram is not complete nor very detailed, its intention is to give a rough idea of the new design approach.

Feedback is welcome, of course!

Shall we make a relationship between nodes and cameras? It's not strictly necessary but to me it is intuitive, and then the camera would not need to remember it's own location, but could be attached to some shape or group. Groups will have transformation information, yes? Ah! Perhaps this is what all nodes share.

What is the general reasoning behind restricting geometry to leaf nodes? I'm wondering what happens if we ignore that restriction, have only one node class, and then have a light class that would be at the same level as a geometry container class, of which a node can have as many as it wishes.

Scene Rep vs. Node: is a scene rep sneaking in as a replacement for a world-type class? What if a node *is* a scene rep? Then any scene rep can have other types of scene reps (nodes or BSPs or Octrees) as children. The node class could adopt a SceneRep Protocol. And a G3DNode would be better called a G3DSceneNode. Or does a scene rep do very different things from a node? I guess the problem with mixing different types of Rep in the same tree is that you might have to have multiple scene managers.

How do you want to specify the functionality of each of these classes?

--
Brent Gulanowski                                address@hidden

http://inkubator.idevgames.com/
Working together to make great software.