gnu3dkit-discuss

Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] gnuDKit.info: RenderKit - questions

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] gnuDKit.info: RenderKit - questions
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 09:53:04 +0100

Hi

On Saturday, November 9, 2002, at 03:59  Uhr, Brent Gulanowski wrote:
<snip>
uh ... did you do too much C++ programming lately? ...:-} But in general - for the exposed API - please avoid direct ivar access, esp. in ObjC! If there is a speed penalty it is certainly not caused by simple accessors. Or do I missunderstand what you mean here?

I dunno, Phil, I'm just trying to come up with some brainstorming to compensate for your wet-blanket worries. If you promise not to write about "big showstopper" problems, I promise not to diverge into fragile non-OOP techniques for circumventing them. Hey -- this is just the discussion list, after all.

Of course, I didn't meant to be 'offensive'. What we need *know* is a plan how to start with the real work, otherwise 0.4 will never take off... BTW I am not even sure if 0.4 is a good number, because it sounds like a simple successor to 0.3.x .... what do you think?

Wrt the work, for me there is one last real issue which I do not yet really see through, the scene representation. What if sb would like to use not a scene graph but an octree or some CSG? How can we offer a good API to incorporate such scenes in the 3DKit? Ideas?

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip