gnu3dkit-discuss

[Gnu3dkit-discuss] Re: NSOpenGL RenderKit

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] Re: NSOpenGL RenderKit
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:44:32 +0200

Hi,

I cc'ed the 3DKit discussion list, because I think this might be interesting...

On 2002-10-22 05:52:27 -0400 Philippe C.D. Robert <address@hidden> wrote:
You could definitly write a SDL backend, this would be very interesting, but 2 problems would then still not be handled automatically:
- how would you render fonts correctly?

I realize SDL does not have any knowledge of 'windowing' -- therefore a SDL-based X renderer would be used. It should allow for back-art or back-gps etc to work, the rastering would be implemented in SDL.

Does such a renderer exist?

Anyway, if you start such a beast, keep me updated! :-)

I am wondering how 3DKit relates to the RenderMan standard. I have been considering research on designing and implementing a hardware accelerated RenderMan-compliant renderer based on OpenGL 2.0.

This is a very interesting issue. The GNU 3DKit was developed as a OpenGL based 3D framework only, although the idea to write it came from NeXT's 3DKit. Now my research interests have shifted a little and I am less interested in pure OpenGL based stuff. Up until recently I did not think of making the GNU 3DKit more generic, though. But then I started thinking about how the next gen 3DKit could be used to render a scene using different techniques (I am particularly interested in ray tracing, but other scanline based techniques would be interesting as well). My idea was to manage a scene in a scene database which could then be rendered by different renderers. Of course this needs much more thinking, but I now believe that it is worth it. This has the drawback, that a running version of it will be even more delayed though.

Is this really worth the effort, is anyone else interested in using such functionality?

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip