gnu3dkit-discuss

[Gnu3dkit-discuss] 3D file formats

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] 3D file formats
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 16:44:09 +0200

Hi,

I am back from my trekking trip and ready to do some 3D work again... One crucial part of the new 3DKit will be its flexibility wrt 3D file formats. I believe it is very important to have a generic mechanism in place which easily allows programmers to write and integrate 3D file format readers/writers. I see several possibilities for this:

- a G3DDatabase class which uses special reader and writer classes to import and export 3D scenes

- a class cluster similar to image handling in the AppKit

- no special mechanism but many readers/writers as part of a 3DKit utility framework

- ... other proposals?

I favour the G3DDatabase approach because this offers more power than just import and export functionality, ie. scene rep optimisations or conversions could be integrated as well.

Anyone?

-Phil

PS: Expect the (non functional) new source tree to appear on Savannah within days.
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip