gnu3dkit-discuss

Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] Shapes and geometry

From: Philippe C.D. Robert
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] Shapes and geometry
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 00:50:40 +0200

On Tuesday, July 9, 2002, at 05:01 PM, Brent Gulanowski wrote:
Sorry, I do not quite know the best way to explain it. When something is represent by one of a group of shapes, then all of those shapes have to have their transformation updated when their position changes. I was speculating that this would add up in situations where a lot of switch groups were used. But maybe the common transformations would all be in the group, and the update would be a pittance. Of course I shouldn't profile in advance :). And I perhaps don't yet quite understand how switch groups work.

In this case you would use the transformation on the group, I guess.

So what would a shape be able to do with multiple geometry instances? Of course if the feature has relatively no expense, it will find its uses eventually.

You could use different kind of representations to create "one 3D shape" w/o the need of using a group node.

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip