gnu3dkit-discuss

Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] Shapes and geometry

From: Brent Gulanowski
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] Shapes and geometry
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 23:27:02 -0400

On Sunday, July 7, 2002, at 06:58  AM, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

Hi,

working on the new shape/geometry code I wonder how important it is to have shapes which manage multiple geometry objects, what do you think?

FYI I turned G3DGeometry into a class from which all other geometries inherit. This will make it much easier to have different kinds of geometries, such as tri strips, vertex arrays or whatever...

Well, that is where I would have first thought to handle LOD and animation geometries, but you've already covered that with the related groups. Since the texture is part of the shape, you'd need the texture to be multiple too, no? Assuming the geometries where different-looking objects as opposed to just differently ordered vertices.

What is the mapping of the scene graph classes to the things that a user/player would see in a world made with 3DKit? If there's a stegosaurus wandering around eating plants, does that correspond to a group object with a bunch of shapes, each of which is a frame of animation? And if one object has LOD *and* animation shape sets, which one would be the child of the other? I'm thinking animation would be the parent, giving a timedSwitch group having children which are LODSwitch groups full of shapes representing the same frame of the animation.

But that points out an inefficiency which your idea would remove: if there is a different shape attached to every LOD version of a shape, they probably all use the same transforms and everything, meaning wasted space and the need to synchronize the static arrays. I would see groups as being most useful for dynamic groupings of objects, based on spatial proximity or temporary life spans, or for complex objects whose components animated independently of each other.

Brent
--
Inkubator: creating free, open source Mac games.
http://inkubator.idevgames.com - homepage