gnu-system-discuss

Re: Spam origin investigation

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: Spam origin investigation
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 23:19:48 +0300

Anonymous wrote:
> I have done some investigation and found that spam originated from
> http://demo.simplacms.ru/ website which runs Simpla. This CMS is unmaintained
> for long time and has vulnerability which allows GLAT scammers to send emails
> anonymously by uploading PHP scripts.
>
> This issue was already reported before but nobody fixed it.

I do not see any issue, actually.  If the CMS in question provides an interface
for sending mail, then full-featured demo should provide it as well.

> Administrator panel for this site should be permanently closed if Simpla is
> dead.

Suggest it to administrators of the site.  But I believe, they do not regard
their software dead.

When a program is not updated for a couple of years, it does not necessary mean
that it is dead.  Sometimes a program is _ready_ and does not need any more
updates.

> Serious spam attack on many websites is expected on 2020-01-01 or before.

Source?