gnu-system-discuss

Re: Status

From: pancake
Subject: Re: Status
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:21:40 +0200

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 02:21:02AM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    I was unable to use't on my GNU/Linux system, i had problems with
>    some programs that doesn't implement some flags,
>
> You didn't report these problems.  Do you remeber what flags, and
> programs didn't work?

I was been talking to you about these problems on the IRC and by email,
some monts ago. I don't know if I have logs of this..

>    And GSC doesn't crosscompile from scratch a GNU/HURD system afaik.
>
> I started a branch for that, I'd like it to work much like `make
> release' in NetBSD's src tree, where you can simply specify which
> architecture you want GNU for and have it setup a cross compiler and
> use that.  But I put that on ice for now, since it was to much of a
> pain in getting all programs working with a cross compiler.  It is a
> feature which I really would love to have.

Yes. Is really a _HARD_ job. And is probably not prioritary.

>    > I'd love to hear what you consider `heavy, unportable, and hard
>    > to maintain' in GSC.
>
>    GSC only works on GNU systems. right? so, is unportable. About the
>    "hard to maintain" I tell't before that i've used the wrong word.
>
> GSC is primarly written for GNU, it was mostly developed on GNU/Linux.
> And will work on any system where you have GNU Make, tla, and some
> other GNUish utilities installed.

I could get a chance again and submit some patches if I notice any
problem.

>    BTW forget this discussion.
>
> I think that if we do that, then we will end up doing this discussion
> at some later point in time.  We seem to be having this one once in a
> while.

Yes, is at least the third or more time we discuss this tip.

About join efforts...IMHO Bee is as dead as me. But all the job I do in
Bee was just to help on the GNU system, maybe in a lonely alternative way,
but I would really like to help on it.

--pancake