gnu-misc-discuss

Re: "Freedom" is really the wrong word

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: "Freedom" is really the wrong word
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 08:26:32 +0000

On November 4, 2021 5:06:44 PM UTC, dick <dick.r.chiang@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There is nothing insidious with such a paint
>
>And yet, free software rhetoric emphatically characterizes nonfree as
>"causing
>harm in a way that is gradual or not easily noticed," which is
>Merriam-Webster's
>definition of "insidious."

I remember 1999 how proprietary software caused me damages. They have been
promising stable system, I got system unstable, freezing, losing thousands of
German marks in Internet expenses when I was indexing websites. Imagine you
spend 500 marks, then system get frozen, then you try again, but again it
freeze. That is true practical damage on my side, which I could not repair or
participate in improving. I called Microsoft in Munich and they did not want to
know about it.

Before the installation, system did not even work as promised. I had compatible
computer, but it did not work. When I called them, they gave me secret codes to
enter and then system could be installed. It was secret code related to my
specific PS/2 computer, not anywhere explained online or in instructions.

The time and effort that I have put into making the system running, and trying
to solve freezing issues are practical damage examples caused by Windoze.

Another example from last year is mobile application Safe Boda in Uganda, when
I wanted to use option to share credit to friend, it just took all my contacts
from address book, to which I have not consented.

There are so many other documented examples of abuses by Facebook, WhatsApp,
Google applications and their corrupted staff taking information from users.