gnu-misc-discuss

Re: "Freedom" is really the wrong word

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: "Freedom" is really the wrong word
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 19:05:50 -0500

dick wrote:
Got it.  Companies aren't upfront about their motives.

Got it.  Companies maneuver to eliminate competitors, free or otherwise.

Heaven forbid capitalist entities should resort to that kind of unconscionable
gamesmanship.  Dale Carnegie, you've been put on notice.  In the meantime,
I'll continue leveraging Google's search and Github's hosting to improve GNU
Emacs.

You are asking us to not exert similar efforts towards them. What else is denouncing them as immoral but our form of efforts to eliminate competitors, just as they seek to do to us?

Except, of course, that we actually have a coherent and non-hypocritical moral argument against them, based in large part on their own past actions.

You ask us to cooperate with those who seek our destruction, without first insisting that they cease seeking our destruction. That would be absurdly and insanely foolish, essentially ideological suicide.

-- Jacob