gnu-misc-discuss

Re: "Freedom" is really the wrong word

From: dick
Subject: Re: "Freedom" is really the wrong word
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 13:06:44 -0400

> There is nothing insidious with such a paint

And yet, free software rhetoric emphatically characterizes nonfree as "causing
harm in a way that is gradual or not easily noticed," which is Merriam-Webster's
definition of "insidious."

Your response continues a long, and truly comical, tradition of the movement's
invoking epithets of slavery such as the "chains put on users," when the real
debate is over consumer expectation.  Certainly, in *caveat emptor* times,
consumer expectation was effectively nil, and yet we'd be laughed off the
podium, possibly carried off in anger, if we described Roman citizens as
"enslaved."