gnu-misc-discuss

Re: Enigmail/PEP mangles GPG configs. Other choices for a MUA

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: Enigmail/PEP mangles GPG configs. Other choices for a MUA
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 15:55:39 +0300

Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org> wrote:
>> Now you apparently would like to try the innovative PEP-enhanced Enigmail
>> 2.1 by yourself to see all these fancy things with your own eyes, so I must
>> warn you: *it mangles ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf and ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf*, so
>> take precautions.
>
> That is okay

Well, it was not okay for me.  pass(1) failed to work after that.  Thanks gods,
I revise my configs with git, so it was just two commands to find out the
offending pieces and revert them back.  Now I wonder, how probable it is, that
target audience of that ‘Junior Mode’ does the same.

> all frontends can do that and we even provide an interface to do this.

Thanks, I’ll be on alert.

> There are other choices for a MUA for example Kmail, where my associate Andre
> is deeply involved in the crypto.

Yes, indeed.  And I actually never fully understood, why everyone still
recommends a novice GPG user to deal with a couple of Thunderbird + Enigmail,
where the core functionality required is implemented as an extension over an
API, that becomes lamer and lamer from release to release.