gnu-linux-libre

[GNU-linux-libre] Third-party repositories, debootstrap and transitivity

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Third-party repositories, debootstrap and transitivity
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 16:26:34 +0200

Hi,

In the FSDG[1] I see the following:
> Nor should the distribution refer to third-party repositories that are
> not committed to only including free software; even if they only have
> free software today, that may not be true tomorrow.
What does 'refer' means here?

Does it means that it is ok to include tools like pip that use third
party repositories if the repository content is committed to stay fully
free software?

Does it also means that FSDG distributions that include debootstrap
without removing scripts[2] to install non-FSDG compliant distributions
are OK if such distributions are fully free software themselves?

Does having nonfree repositories mentioned or not affect them being ok?

What if such distributions have free software meant to install nonfree
software?

More precisely, does someone knows which debootstrap scripts should be
removed?

As for the ones to keep/add, all Trisquel versions could probably be
kept/added.

For PureOS the 'amber' script looks good as last time I checked that was
the main distribution feed. For its 'byzantium' script it looks good but
I'm unsure if it's meant to be FSDG compliant or not as it's a less
stable version of 'amber' that then ends up being merged in 'amber'. As
for for the 'landing' I've no idea, it probably ends up being merged in
byzantium at some point.