gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Replacing Yocto with Guix kernel image builds: bes

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Replacing Yocto with Guix kernel image builds: best practices
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 14:16:53 +0300

Trevor Lee <address@hidden> wrote:
> We are now looking to build Linux kernels using Guix instead of Yocto.  We
> can't see any reason why the builds wouldn't be linux-libre. Ideally we'd
> like our effort to be accepted by upstream guix.
>
> However, being new to Guix we are still coming grips with the best
> practice(s) for what we would like to do.

I believe, youʼd better address address@hidden or even address@hidden with such
questions.

>    1. *The content of this email is confidential and intended for the
> recipient specified in message only.

Nope, youʼve sent it to a public mailing list. ;-)

And even if put this mistake aside:

>    It is strictly forbidden to share any part of this message with any third
> party, without a written consent of the sender.

By whom?  Is there anyone, who is capable of ‘strictly forbidding’ me (or
anyone else) to do anything?  I would suggest you to revise the wording.

>    If you received this message by mistake, please reply to this message and
> follow with its deletion, so that we can ensure such a mistake does not occur
> in the future.*

While this is undoubtedly formulated better, it contradicts with the normal
workflow of most people: they could either reply to the letter (often citing
the enough context) and store it in their archive forever along with their
reply, or trash it.

>    2. *This message has been sent as a part of discussion between Begley
> Brothers Inc. and the addressee whose name is specified above. Should you
> receive this message by mistake, we would be most grateful if you informed us
> that the message has been sent to you. In this case, we also ask that you
> it to anyone else. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.*

Are not you repeating yourself?

>    3. *Begley Brothers Inc. puts the security of the client at a high
> priority. Therefore, we have put efforts into ensuring that the message is
> error and virus-free. Unfortunately, full security of the email cannot be
> ensured as, despite our efforts, the data included in emails could be
> infected, intercepted, or corrupted.

Sure, perfect secrecy / security cannot be achieved.  But, for instance,
signing and encrypting your mail sufficiently lower the chances that it would
be tampered with and read by adversary third party respectively.

Unfortunately, you neither sign your mail, nor I can find your key to send you
an encrypted one: it is not published neither at open keyserver network (for
now represented by keyserver.ubuntu.com), neither at proprietary
keys.openpgp.org.  And gmail.com, of course, does not provide webkey-directory,
let aside DANE.

>    Therefore, the recipient should check the email for threats with proper
> software, as the sender does not accept liability for any damage inflicted by
> viewing the content of this email.*

It seems, that you have really decided to scare all your clients off. :-)