gnu-emacs-sources

[GNU ELPA] Denote version 2.0.0

From: ELPA update
Subject: [GNU ELPA] Denote version 2.0.0
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 17:03:31 -0400

Version 2.0.0 of package Denote has just been released in GNU ELPA.
You can now find it in M-x list-packages RET.

Denote describes itself as:

  Simple notes with an efficient file-naming scheme

More at https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/denote.html

                   DENOTE: SIMPLE NOTES WITH AN EFFICIENT
                             FILE-NAMING SCHEME

                            Protesilaos Stavrou
                            info@protesilaos.com
             ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

  This manual, written by Protesilaos Stavrou, describes the customization
  options for the Emacs package called `denote' (or `denote.el'), and
  provides every other piece of information pertinent to it.

  The documentation furnished herein corresponds to stable version 2.0.0,
  released on 2023-07-21.  Any reference to a newer feature which does not
  yet form part of the latest tagged commit, is explicitly marked as such.

  Current development target is 2.1.0-dev.

## Recent NEWS:

                         ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
                          CHANGE LOG OF DENOTE
                         ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

This document contains the release notes for each tagged commit on the
project's main git repository: <https://git.sr.ht/~protesilaos/denote>.

The newest release is at the top.  For further details, please consult
the manual: <https://protesilaos.com/emacs/denote>.

Version 2.0.0 on 2023-07-21
═══════════════════════════

  This is the second major version of Denote, close to one year after
  its initial release.  The video demo I did back then remains relevant,
  even though lots of details have changed.

Notes have a new optional SIGNATURE field
─────────────────────────────────────────

  It is now possible to create notes that include a `SIGNATURE' field in
  their file name.  Either use the convenience command
  `denote-signature' or configure the user option `denote-prompts' to
  affect what the `denote' command should prompt for.

  Signatures are arbitrary strings of characters that enable the user to
  further qualify their documents.  One possible workflow is to write
  relational notes, such that `1a1' is the first extension of another
  note with a `1a' signature.

  The design of the `SIGNATURE' field is consistent with the Denote
  file-naming scheme.  The field separator is the double equals sign
  (`=='), while words that comprise the signature are joined together by
  a single equals sign.  As such, the user can prefix a search with an
  equals sign to match words in the `SIGNATURE', just as they would use
  dashes for the `TITLE' and underscores for the `KEYWORDS'.

  [ Read the manual for the technicalities of the Denote file-naming
    scheme.  This is not limited to "notes": any file can be named
    accordingly (I do it with my videos, for example). ]

  Signatures are not included in a file's front matter.  This is a
  strategic decision to preserve backward compatibility, while not
  introducing a feature that has not enjoyed widespread usage.  I want
  to make signatures behave the same as the rest of the file name
  fields, though I am interested to learn how users employ them in their
  workflow.

  The signature extension was discussed at length on the GitHub mirror
  in issue 115: <https://github.com/protesilaos/denote/issues/115>.
  Thanks to Stefan Thesing, Mirko Hernandez, Noboru Ota (nobiot),
  Xiaoxing Hu, nbehrnd, Elias Storms, and 101scholar for helping me
  reason about this feature, understand its scope, and prototype its
  implementation.

  Also thanks to Alfredo Borrás and Jeremy Friesen for discussing with
  me the field delimiter of signatures on the mailing list:

<https://lists.sr.ht/~protesilaos/denote/%3C2A597B4E-5F18-4D97-9457-B3C859DAA020%40zoho.eu%3E>.
  Thanks to Kai von Fintel for doing the same on the GitHub mirror in
  issue 147: <https://github.com/protesilaos/denote/issues/147>.

  Read the original announcement:
  <https://protesilaos.com/codelog/2023-03-20-emacs-denote-signature-feature/>.

  As part of the development, I fixed a case where
  `denote-rename-file-using-front-matter' would fail if it could not
  find a signature

  The idea is that we want the command to behave the way it always did
  when the file has no signature and to preserve the signature when it
  is present.

  Thanks to relict for reporting the issue on the mailing list:
  <https://lists.sr.ht/~protesilaos/denote/%3C87zg86lru9.fsf%40kotlak.com%3E>.

The rename commands avoid creating duplicate identifiers

  Denote provides commands to rename an existing file to one that
  follows the Denote file-naming scheme (videos, PDFs, other text
  documents, …).  Check, for example, the `denote-rename-file' and
  `denote-dired-rename-marked-files'.  The idea is to make everything
  easier to search.

  In prior versions, these commands could produce duplicate identifiers
  if the modification date of the underlying files was the same.  Such a
  …  …