gnu-emacs-sources

'Scraps' 0.02; maintain and search a collection of text notes

From: Bob Newell
Subject: 'Scraps' 0.02; maintain and search a collection of text notes
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2017 10:19:03 -1000

I am releasing a preliminary but functional version of 'scraps':

http://www.bobnewell.net/filez/scraps.el

'Scraps' is a sort of replacement for 'deft' and some functions of Evernote.

'deft' kept a collection of text-notes and displayed and searched
them, but it bogs down badly when used (abusively, perhaps) on large
collections (in my case 6,000 notes totaling 65 MB). Scraps handles
such a collection in relatively short order; an initial search takes
about 15 seconds on my desktop computer and much less for subsequent
searches. (On my 9-year-old netbook, an initial search takes about 45
seconds.)

Scraps uses existing tools like grep and dired in combination to be
rapid and functional. 'org and 'peep-dired are required.

Scraps also allows for web-clipping from EWW or W3M buffers (or any
other buffer).

Scraps does not provide all the functionality of deft and certainly
not all the functionality of Evernote, but it stays within the Emacs
ecosystem.

Scraps doesn't directly sync among multiple devices, but you could use
a Dropbox-synced folder as your scraps directory if you wish.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i