gnu-emacs-sources

flyspell-abbrev-multilang.el v1.1

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: flyspell-abbrev-multilang.el v1.1
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 21:52:24 +0200

Hello

I like flyspell, because

    -  it corrects "on the fly"

    -  it allows to save corrected words as abbrevs.

However the abbrev mechanism does not distinguish between
different languages. That can be a problem, for example:

The word "version" is written "version" in English but
"versiĆ³n" in Spanish. So the abbrev should distinguish both.

 Implementation: the following possibilities occur to me:

 Either via a modified Mayor Mode (using derive-mode) or via
 a minor mode both approaches have their pros and cons.

 Mayor Mode: Pros: there is just one mayor mode which can be on or off
 Mayor Mode: Cons: if you use several language you have to write for
 each mode its language derivative.

 Minor Mode: Pros: you can combine it with any mayor mode.
 Minor Mode: Cons: you have to be very careful: you have to
 turn off one language mode *before* turning on another one.

 Generalisations: if you want to add you favourite language, you
 should

     -  define an abbrev table

     -  define a minor mode

     -  write a turn on/off function for the minor mode

     -  modify the existing turning on/off functions!!!

I consider the implementation as a kludge and would love to
hear about a better solution.

Till then enjoy.

Uwe Brauer