gnu-emacs-sources

Re: ;;; anything.el --- open anything

From: billclem
Subject: Re: ;;; anything.el --- open anything
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 21:52:39 -0000

On Aug 6, 12:44 pm, "address@hidden"
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Aug 3, 3:21 pm, "address@hidden"
>
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > So it's an adaptive candidate sorter which learns which candidates you
> > select frequently and makes  them more accessible for you.
>
> Currently, the history of selections is stored and used per source, so
> for example a different entry is stored when something is selected
> from the File Name History or Recentf and such stored entries are used
> only when sorting File Name History or Recentf, respectively.
>
> I vaguely remember there was some reason why I selected history
> handling by source, but now I don't really know what's the advantage.
> Shouldn't selection history be stored by type instead, so that for
> example a selection from any file providing source would contribute to
> the common knowledge of what files one selects most frequently?
>
> What do you think?

My preference would be to have the selected history handling done by
type rather than source. For example, I might be regularly editing a
file1.txt (and thus file1.txt would appear in and I would be selecting
it from the "File Name History" source). However, I might then do
something that results in many files being opened (thus filling my
recent files list). If the history handling was done by source, then
file1.txt would still show up at the top of the "Locate" source even
though I hadn't been selecting it from that source since both the
"File Name History" source and the "Locate" source deal with objects
of type "file".

- Bill