gnu-emacs-sources

Re: codesearch.el 1.0 --- Search for code via Google Code Search

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: codesearch.el 1.0 --- Search for code via Google Code Search
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 13:09:29 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2007 21:26 schrieb Richard Stallman:
>     ;;; codesearch.el --- allowing users to search for open-source code on
>
> Would you please call it "free software code"?
> Using the term "open source" downplays the ethical issues
> which are the most important issues.
>
> See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
> for more explanation.

Hi Richard,

can OTOH every code found by Google qualify as "free
software"?

Let me take the occasion to a wider ranging remark:

As told earlier, I'm using Emacs because it works. From
there I want to see it prosper.

If philosophy and ethical issues are at stake, we have
to consider the world outside computers and the impact
of computers in general too.

What we see, is the concentration of powers. There are
several names for it, globalization etc. In result we
see the growing influences of giant organisations,
relying heavily on computers to oppress people.

What if the computers of the secret prisons in Poland
and Romania are run by Gpl-software? What if
wedding-societies in Palestine, Afghanistan or Iraq are
killed by bombs directed with FSF-GPled-Software?

I can go around the world with such examples, now and
in history:

http://hometown.aol.com/merryeee/ibmstory.htm

"Machines have no national allegiances and no moral
code. They become powerful instruments for good or evil
in the hands of human beings controlling them."

The danger I see if we expect too much from techniques:
we might forget to fight for our values if its time to
defend them: If freedom of speech is taken, free
software will not persist, if we are sent to prison or
our lives are taken, our user-rights are useless.

OK., so far just some ideas.

Thanks a lot for all your work and have a nice day

Andreas Roehler