gnu-emacs-sources

Re: [off] Quantity of Spam

From: Chris Green
Subject: Re: [off] Quantity of Spam
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 18:28:20 -0400

David Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

> On 17 May 2004 12:10:31 +0100 Phillip Lord wrote:
>
>> Most of it appears to be coming from the mail gateway. Is it possible
>> that this can be spam filtered? Does anyone know who controls this?
>
> You can try to read the group via gmane[1].  They are pretty
> good at filtering spam[2].

They are good and people quickly mark whatever message is spam as
such, but it's still annoying to see the article count increment just
to find out there was only spam.  It would be very nice to see some
antispam software deployed if possible on the mail2news gateway.
There's a plethora of GPLed software to do so.

I certainly wouldn't want to prevent someone from posting to the
mailing list if the don't have NNTP access or are using gmane.

I really think the followup group for this should be gnu.misc.discuss
but I'm reading via gmane and really am not sure how to get followups
to do the right thing for people.  The spam problem has been across
several if not all of the GNU mailing lists.
--
Chris Green <address@hidden>
To err is human, to moo bovine.