gnu-crypto-discuss

Re: [GNU Crypto] Questions for release of version 2

From: Morgon Kanter
Subject: Re: [GNU Crypto] Questions for release of version 2
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:36:14 -0400

> > 1) Is this accompanied by a change in the shared libs soname (to .2)?
>
> yes.  once you checkout the CVS, you'll notice the Makefiles (and the
> ANT build.xml) reflect this move.  also, the deliverables contain two
> optional libraries: javax.crypto and javax.security.  these will be at
> version 1.0.  the Makefiles in both jce and security subfolders also
> reflect that fact.

Hrm, alright.

> i suggest you have a look at the current make process for suggestions on
> where/how to place these.
>
> we build the libraries in three different ways.  one that is
> GCJ-friendly (incl. the shared libraries, and this is the primary
> target for the exercise).  one that is not GCJ-friendly, i.e. just
> using GNU toolchain to compile, build, test and exercise the library
> and its tools.  and last a pure-java way through Apache ANT.  the first
> two require copying the source to a build destination --the init.sh
> scripts in the toplevel and under the gcj directory prepare the sources
> for the build process.

I think that for the Debian package, we should use the first way and
the first way only. This does everything we want to accomplish already
(build the shared/static libraries and jar files, tests, etc). This
essentially keeps the build-depends down to a minimum (all we need is
gcj, and it allows it to go into Debian's main archive (ANT itself
is in contrib, if we build-depend'ed on ANT, gnu-crypto would have
to go into contrib).

The bit that worries me is the fact that we have to create a seperate
build directory in order to do this -- I've never seen a debian
package do this, and what I've tried to make it work hasn't worked
so far. However, I'm sure there is a way to make it work with the
seperate build directory. Can you run gcj/init.sh from the top of
the source tree and then build? (I'd try it myself, but I already
have a build of gnu-crypto going, and it takes a _very_ long time :p).

I figure that there should be 5 packages. Stuff means things like
shared libraries, ar archives, and jar files.
libgnu-crypto2-java -- contains the gnu.crypto stuff
libgnu-crypto-jce1-java -- contains the javax.security stuff
libgnu-crypto2-doc -- contains javadoc etc. for gnu.crypto
libgnu-crypto-jce1-doc -- contains the javadoc etc. for javax.security
libgnu-crypto2-programs -- contains the entropy and speed testers, etc.

Obviously, because this is java, -dev packages aren't needed

That's all my random thoughts for now.
Morgon
--
"Man is the only creature capable of hating itself" -- Governor of Japan
in The End of Evangelion